Dia de las madres programa
1. LISTENING & SPEAKING.
a. Do the ‘Names’ quiz with a partner.
a. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Meaning: What matters is what something is, not what it is called. From Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare must have written this play between 1591 and 1596.
b. ‘Kate’ is short for ‘Katherine’; ‘Bill’ is short for ‘William’; ‘Chris’ is short for ‘Christopher and Christine’; ‘Bob’ is short for ‘Robert’; ‘Liz’ is short for ‘Elizabeth’.
c. In Britain, parents often name their children after famous people or TV/film characters. Who do you think inspired these recently popular names?
1. Harry: Prince Henry (Charles Albert David) of Wales, commonly known as Prince Harry, is the …ver más…
1. Yves Saint Laurent: Yves Henri Donat Mathieu-Saint Laurent is a French fashion designer.
2. Freddie Mercury: Farrokh Bulsara was his real name. He was a British musician, the lead singer of the rock band Queen.
3. Sean Connery: Sir Thomas Sean Connery is a Scottish actor who portrayed the character James Bond, starring in seven Bond films.
4. Brad Pitt: William Bradley “Brad” Pitt is an American actor. Pitt was married to actress Jennifer Aniston fot five years and currently lives with actress Angelina Jolie. (Films: seven, Fight Club, Ocean’s Eleven...)
5. Meg Ryan: Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra is an American film actress. (Films: When Harry met Sally, City of Angels, French kiss, You’ve got mail...)
6. : Winona Ryder: Winona Laura Horowitz is an American actress. (Films: The age of Innocence, Little women, Edward Scissorhands...)
7. Claudia Schiffer: Claudia Schiffer is a German model, one of the world’s most successful models.
8. Gwyneth Paltrow: Gwyneth Kate Paltrow is an American actress who became famous with her performance in “Shakespeare in Love” (1998), for which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress (Films: The talented Mr. Ripley, Proff -la verdad oculta-, Iron Man, A perfect murder, Seven...)
The highest grossing movie: la película más taquillera, de más recaudación.
b. What do you think are the three most common names for boys and girls in your country? Does anyone in the class have these names?